Traumatic Brain Injury Added Authorization

Traumatic Brain Injury Added Authorization

Added Authorization: For current California teachers with an Education Specialist credential looking to better serve students with special needs. Can also be earned as part of the M.A. in Special Education.


If you work with or desire to work with students with special needs, earning your Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Added Authorization can prepare you to better meet the needs of your students with TBI.

The authorization can be earned on its own or as part of a Master of Arts in Special Education.

Applicants for the Traumatic Brain Injury Added Authorization must have a valid Education Specialist Credential.

San Diego educator teaches students in a classroom

A Reputation for Excellence: ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç Forms Committed San Diego Educators

Educators across San Diego share about their positive experience working with ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç and their committed alumni teachers and educators.

Application Information

Are you ready to take the next step and apply?

We're here to make the entire process a simple one. We'll walk you through the application process, answer your questions, and get you one step closer to earning your degree.

Program Start Date(s):

  • Fall 2024 Quad II - October 28, 2024
  • Spring 2025 Quad II — March 17, 2025
  • Summer 2025 Quad II — July 7, 2025

Application Deadline(s):

  • Fall 2024 Quad II - October 16, 2024
  • Spring 2025 Quad II — February 28, 2025
  • Summer 2025 Quad II — June 20, 2025

The Selection Process

The educational context at ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç will challenge you to live a full life that integrates the pursuit of knowledge with beliefs, values, and actions. While honoring diverse perspectives and beliefs, Christian values and principles are woven into the educational experience. We understand your application is not only a reflection of you as a student; it reflects you as a person. At ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç, we holistically evaluate your academic history, work and life experience, background, and circumstances to determine admission into a graduate program. Your undergraduate GPA is an important piece of your application, but if you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement of a 3.0, you may still be eligible for admission based on your application package as well as the exceptions policy per your particular program.* Therefore, we strongly encourage you to contact your enrollment counselor, who will advise you regarding your qualifications and provide specific information about the admission under exceptions process.

To be admitted into ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç's education program, you must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, as evidenced by an official transcript from an institution that indicates the completion of an undergraduate degree.

If you have any questions about your qualifications or the program in general, we encourage you to contact your enrollment counselor.

Application Checklist

Note: The application is completed entirely online with the exception of transcripts, which can be submitted electronically or directly to ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç, and test scores, which should be submitted electronically.

  1. Submit an online application for admissions (including $50 non-refundable application fee, which is waived for ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç alums, current or former military and their dependents, and ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç employees).
  2. Submit official transcripts with proof of earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.* (If you are a ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç alumnus, please notify your counselor to have your transcripts retrieved. You do not need to request transcripts from the ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç Office of Records.)

    Official transcripts must be sent to:
    Office of Graduate Admissions
    3900 Lomaland Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92106

    Official electronic transcripts must be emailed to:

    *Please note, official transcripts must be sent directly from the regionally accredited institution.
  3. Submit a personal essay, 2-3 pages in length and double-spaced.
  4. Once you have submitted your admissions application, your two selected professional recommenders will automatically be sent the auto-generated document to complete on your behalf. If you'd like to include a written letter in addition to this required document, you may do so, but it's unnecessary.
  5. For credential seekers only: Submit basic skills exam (CBEST or equivalent) scores. This can be demonstrated by taking the CBEST exam
    • OR Multiple Subject CSET plus writing skills examination
    • OR CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examination
    • OR providing proof of a valid California teaching credential

State Authorization

State authorization is a formal determination that ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç is approved to conduct educational activities regulated by that state or U.S. Territory. ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç is not required to obtain state authorization in every state or U.S. Territory, and the university has opted at this time not to seek authorization in certain states and U.S. Territories. Additionally, ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç meets the criteria for exemption from authorization in certain states.

At this time, ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç does not have authorization in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, and the U.S. Territories. 

Authorizations in specific states may change periodically. ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç recommends contacting ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç admissions at (800) 733-7770 for the latest information.

*Exceptions Policy: If you have below a 3.0 GPA in your baccalaureate degree, you will need to speak with your enrollment counselor for more information on the exceptions materials needed for your particular program.

Professional Licensure or Certification

This program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and meets the requirements for educator certification in the state of California, where ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç is physically located. ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç cannot confirm whether or not specific programs meet out-of-state requirements for Professional Licensure or Certification. Information about out-of-state requirements in teacher credentialing is available on . 

For more information on State Authorization and Program Licensure, please refer to our disclosures page.

Career Opportunities

This authorization is designed for special education teachers.

Teaching Viewpoint Article

A Reputation for Excellence: ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç Forms Committed San Diego Educators

Our School of Education is one of the top producers of education candidates not only within San Diego, but the state of California. Read more about the work being done at ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç.

Financial Aid and Student Support

We take seriously the role of providing you with financial, academic, and career support so you have the tools you need to be successful at ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç and beyond. That’s why we offer a holistic support system that focuses on your unique experiences, particular needs, and personal and professional goals — resulting from our deep concern for you, our student.

With a focus on authentic relationships and personalized attention, our goal is to help transform you so you can follow your calling in your own career and life.

Financial Aid and Student Support

Frequently Asked Questions

What added authorizations does ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç offer?

There are seven added authorizations for special education: Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Other Health Impaired (OHI), Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE), Adaptive Physical Education (APE), Orthopedic Impairment (OI), and Emotional Disturbance (ED).

How many units does an added authorization in special education require?

There are nine units total for the added authorizations: GED 656 Shared Leadership, Legislation and Duo Process (two units) AND GED 650 Universal Access; Equity for All Students (three units) OR GED 622 Advanced Special Education Assessment and Analysis of Behavior (three units) AND AASE Methods course for the specific authorization (four units).

Is the program offered entirely online?

Yes, but some added authorizations require fieldwork. Contact an enrollment counselor for more details.

How long does an added authorization program take?

Completion of the added authorization depends on when the methodology coursework is being offered. Not all methodology courses are offered in every quad. Most students can complete the nine units required within a single year, if not sooner.

Course List

For information about the courses required for the Traumatic Brain Injury Added Authorization program, view the ¹ú²ú¾çÂ鶹¾ç Catalog. 

Department Faculty